Monday, February 21, 2022
You have probably used a variety of methods to clean your outdoor living space. Perhaps you know that cleaning outdoor spaces with a power washer is very easy and fast. Power washers work well for cleaning stone pavement and brick walls. But can you power wash composite decking?
Table of Contents
Being a composite deck that has a faux wood look, it doesn’t require as much regular maintenance as a wood floor, though. But we do need to clean the outdoor deck every once in a while. A clean and comfortable living environment allows us to enjoy life better, doesn’t it?
Thoroughly cleaning composite decking is also a more troublesome task. But in order to be able to use the composite decking for a long time, we need to keep it clean. If you want to use the easy and fast method, then you may want to use the power washing method. So can we use a power washer can we clean the composite decking?
Yes, it is possible to use power washing on composite decking. However, you need to pay attention to the following four things when using power washing for composite decking.
In order to avoid damage to your outdoor deck from the power washer, and to be able to clean your composite deck better. Please keep the following four points in mind.
1. When using the power washer, use a wide nozzle. Also, keep the nozzle 6 inches away from the deck surface. This should be enough to remove any dirt without damaging the composite decking.
2. When using a power washer, do not exceed 1500psi. too high a pressure is likely to damage the deck surface. Some manufacturers can use pressures in excess of 1500psi. But please check with your manufacturer before using it.
3. When using the power washer, spray the deck with soapy water first, then gently scrub each deck with a soft bristle brush. Finally, use water to avoid dirty water staying on the surface of the deck boards and forming a film after cleaning.
4. Cleaning must be done along the grain of the composite decking, piece by piece. This can reduce the chance of scuffing the composite material. It also allows for better cleaning of the composite deck.
Therefore, if you plan to use a power washer, be sure to follow all necessary precautions. Avoid damaging your composite decking.
Aside from power washing machines to clean your composite decking, you can try to clean your garden floor in a traditional way. Cleaning composite decking the traditional way may be slower, but it is also safer. To clean composite decking, follow these steps.
1. Remove all furniture, decorations, and accessories. Doing so will ensure that you can clean your entire outdoor deck.
2. Use a broom to sweep the deck of dirt and debris. Even the smallest crevices should be cleaned. In addition, you can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the deck surface.
3. Prepare warm, soap and water. First, rinse the composite deck with water, then wash it with soapy water. This will help remove any remaining dirt and debris.
In addition to soapy water, you can also use vinegar or baking soda. But do not use chlorine bleach or other invasive chemicals.
4. Using a soft bristle brush, gently scrub off all the dirt on your deck. Make sure to clean along the grain. If you have a large outdoor deck, then you can divide the area into several batches. Avoid leaving dirty water on your deck and forming a film on the surface of the deck.
5. Rinse your deck thoroughly with water. Then wait for the water to dry on the deck surface before putting back your furniture and decorations. You can also clean them while you wait.
Although composite deck boards do not require regular care and maintenance compared to wood decking. But that doesn’t mean you don’t need to clean deck dirt and oil stains. Also, just because composite decking is easy to clean doesn’t mean you can clean it as much as you want. Here are a few mistakes to avoid when cleaning composite decking. Allowing you to clean your composite deck better while still avoiding damage to the deck surface.
The wrong cleaner can damage your deck. Always check the label when purchasing a cleaner and never use a “deck cleaner” that is based on chlorine bleach. Chlorine bleach is extremely corrosive and can damage the surface of your deck. Ultimately, it will discolor your deck and exacerbate any mold and mildew problems that may occur. Therefore, avoid chlorine bleach and choose a non-toxic sodium carbonate cleaner.
Although composite decking can be effective in preventing mold and mildew. But if you neglect to thoroughly clean the deck seams when you clean your composite deck regularly. Then over time, dirt and debris will build up. Then the deck seams will become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Therefore, the gaps between your composite decks should be cleaned at least once a year. This will facilitate air circulation between the decks and help keep the underside dry.
Composite decking requires extra care when cleaning. Dirt and debris can be easily cleaned with a broom or garden hose. For deeper cleaning, always use a soft bristle brush. When removing snow, choose a plastic shovel rather than a metal one.
Composite decking not only increases the value of your home but also enhances its beauty. It is important to know how to properly maintain your composite decking.